[AusNOG] POE and patch cables and panels

Tom.Minchin at csiro.au Tom.Minchin at csiro.au
Fri Oct 8 17:37:33 EST 2010

We used to use the seperate POE panels (for IPTel handsets) as the integrated Cisco switch was very expensive. The POE panels however were a pain due to the extra space they used and cabling. And if you over subscribed them they'd reset all the devices power.

We just suck it up now and deploy POE switches as standard. Single device to manage and less rack and cables. POE switches are much much cheaper now too.

The individual injectors were also a pain as the power packs would die randomly after a couple of years.