[AusNOG] Consumer HD Teleconferencing

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Fri Oct 8 00:28:39 EST 2010

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:09:58 +1000
Andrew Oskam <percy at th3interw3bs.net> wrote:

> I guess the biggest problem that people see with this selling point is that your average Joe won't be doing HD Teleconferencing.

How do you know?

> While the NBN is being rolled out to everyone, the people who actually DO use or at least plan to use HD teleconferencing are typically (keyword being typically) are the ones who can already afford a high upstream broadband service.

Asymmetry on the NBN is nothing more than a service parameter, likely
to be configured in the ONT. There is no technical reason symmetry
couldn't be offered as a residential service offering. It is an
artificial constraint, as evidenced by the existence of symmetrical NBN
business service offerings.