[AusNOG] NBN Legislation

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon Nov 29 20:27:23 EST 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:02:10 +1100
vak <vak at alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> 1) My take on it is that ubiquitous access is the primary concern of the
> NBN, not international carriage.
> 2) PMG (Post Master General) had a large hand in delivering the first
> submarine cables out of Australia. PMG was a government entitity.
> 3) There are innovators in business - I'm arguing that generally,
> telcos/NSPs have not generally been innovators.

What do you consider to be innovation?

Haven't VoIP, non-telstra ADSL and ADSL2+, alternative backhaul to
Telstra, constantly increasing quotas, unmetered content,
offpeak/onpeak quotas, multiple attempts at video on demand/IPTV,
multiple attempts at unlimited Internet, FTTH deployments in new
residential establishments, and multiple Wimax network deployments,
which have all occurred in the last 10 years, been innovations?