[AusNOG] NBN Legislation

vak vak at alphalink.com.au
Mon Nov 29 10:15:28 EST 2010

Hi All,

Many people have claimed the stifling of innovation as a reason why we
should not have the NBN.

I would argue the exact opposite. The NBN will stimulate new ideas and
products. Those who generate new ideas today will be the winners in the
next decade - its an opportunity we must not sqander.

I think back at the the consumer and business options for broadband and
their associated costs over the last ten years, it is clear to me that
Business won't and can't innovate on their own. They have a track record
of not innovating as it is mostly non-aligned with their goals (which is
typically revenue and profit growth). Obviously there are exceptions to
this, but it is my belief that a government supported kickstart is
required now. No business alone would invest in the infrastructure
required for ubiquitous access. Business should not see this as a
threat, but as an opportunity. The opportunity will be monetised by
those who don't fear it.

The time we spend now squabbling over cost-benefit analysis and the
subsequent failure to invest today will only cost Australia jobs later.
No point arguing the cost, as it will cost us more if we don't.

Australia must transform and foster knowledge and services industries to
survive in the new world economy.

> It discourages and prevents innovation, because it prevents people
> offering a cheaper and less capable but quite acceptable service to
> the target market.
<snip>