[AusNOG] NBN Legislation

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sat Nov 27 15:51:00 EST 2010

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:59:01 +1030
Brad Gould <bradley at internode.com.au> wrote:

> And this stops the provider offering a cheaper, lower speed service how?

Because they have to pay for and put in infrastructure to
support a service they never intend to offer. Their cost base is
artificially increased with no benefit to themselves and their
end-customer. Their end-customer will have to pay artificially higher
prices for the service than necessary to cover those unnecessary and
mandated infrastructure costs.

> It *appears* that the gov has just defined a new "pstn" standard service.
>
> Everyone gets 240v, 50hz

They're interoperability standards. They encourage a competitive
market, because vendors can't use customer lock-in to create a
product supply monopoly. In the NBN co-context that'll be industry
standards like Ethernet framing, 1000BASE-T interconnects etc.

> and mostly 20amps at minimum.  There is nothing intrinsically wrong,
> as public policy, increasing that to 30 amps, or indeed 25Mbps.

And they're service parameters. Why should the government force me to
have (and eventually pay for in some way or another) a 30 amp feed to
my house when I'd be quite adequately suited with a 20 amp feed, both
operating at 240v, 50hz? The money I save on not paying for larger
mains feeds is money that I can spend somewhere else. If I'm forced to
pay for something I don't need, and as my spending capacity has a limit,
another deserving market/industry misses out. The result is unnecessary
things existing, and things that I consider necessary, and would spend
my money on if I could afford it, won't exist (which may be as
simple as a monthly Internet quota increase, and the corresponding
employment and products that are created to supply that increased
Internet service.) This is the broken window fallacy.

> Forward looking policy is sadly lacking from all governments. Sure you may disagree with the arbitrary values chosen, but the market has been broken due to policy failure for years, and some people are going to get hurt when a correction is applied - cold comfort for some.

Unfortunately if the new policy is also a failure, the tax payers will
be left carrying the can (like having to now inspect homes for badly
installed insulation because the government created a bubble in that
industry, sucking in the fly-by-nighters. ). If it is rushed and ill
considered policy, the chances of policy failure go up.

Regards,
Mark.