[AusNOG] VM throughput to network

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Thu Nov 18 16:51:01 EST 2010

Fellow Noggers,

In My experience,

Bonding doesn't make multiple 1gb cables into one bigger virtual cable, but it does push different traffic from different sources across different links. (In most configurations)

*OVERALL*, you can breach 1GB/s for *multiple transfers* to/from *multiple hosts* on multiple 1Gbs NIC's.

For single sessions however, it's extremely difficult to implement. This is a fact that is not referred to in much, if any documentation at all. You kind of have to read between the lines to figure it out.

I haven't been able to replicate true bi-symmetric Load-Aggreagation in a test lab, with almost unlimited configurations of Kit, switches, hardware and different vendors. (Not through lack of trying)

Data To/From  one  single host on one side of the bonding to another single host on the other side of the boding wont breach 1gbps, but multiple to multiple, the aggregate will, with SOME types of bonding.

I hate linking to Wikipedia but this is a pretty good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.3
Specifically:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.3ad dealing with link aggregation and talking about one of the different types. (802.3ad specifically)

Have a read here for the different types of host load balancing

http://www.linuxhorizon.ro/bonding.html

Even though the above link is  a linux article, Teaming INTEL Nic's under windows server 2008R2 with the Intel drivers offers the same policy choices.

The most effective poor-mans bonding that I can see is Balance-ALB  ( Which is Transmit Load Balancing, and Receive Load Balancing)

I *HAVE* been able to replicate EITHER Receve Load balancing, or Transmit load balancing from 1 host to 1 other host on a single session breaching 1gbps, however never both at the same time.

Some configurations support Inbound-only Load balancing from the switch to your device, and other the polar opposite.

That is, 4 Nic's will bond in one direction, but back the other way, only 1 NIC will bond.

The hardest part to read in between the fine-print is that it's more systematic Load-Sharing of multiple sessions rather than Load-Sharing of single sessions.

If anyone has in practise managed to accomplish this and to genuinely increase the throughput of a single IPv4 connection above the throughput of that of a teamed single NIC, and can share with me how, I'll owe you a beer.

S.