[AusNOG] Console server question.

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sat Nov 6 10:04:19 EST 2010

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:33:32 +1000 (EST)
craig at askings.com.au wrote:

> Opengear will probably do 90% of that (not sure about AD/radius) They use
> standard RJ-45 / Cat-5 with adaptor cables to do Cisco rollover / APC
> rj-11 / DB9 etc.
>
> It's a linux box under the hood and their CTO is in Brisbane so if you
> need a particular feature. There is a good chance that lunch and a few
> beers might get it for you :P

One feature I really like about using Ciscos is the "ip alias" command.
It allows you to map an IP address to the console server TCP ports.
IOW, it does IP/TCP port 23 a.k.a. telnet to console server serial
TCP port translation. The advantage is that because a console serial
port is now an IP address, you can then put it in DNS, and also don't
have to care anymore about what console server it is actually connected
to.

Here is an (off the top of my head) config of how you use it -

--
int loopback 0
  ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.0

ip alias 172.16.0.2 2001
ip alias 172.16.0.3 2002
ip alias 172.16.0.4 2003

router ospf 64512
  network 172.16.0.1 0.0.0.0 area 0
--

After that, if you telnet to 172.16.0.2 (or a good DNS name for it),
you'll actually be connected to TCP port 2001 on the router announce