[AusNOG] Console server question.

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Fri Nov 5 16:28:19 EST 2010

On 05/11/2010, at 12:31 PM, Julien Goodwin wrote:
> I'm a fan of the OpenGear line.

I've never used OpenGear, but their stuff looks very similar to our standard Perle deployment.

Perle IOLAN SCS48CM DAC gives 48 ports of console, dual 10/100/1000 Ethernet, v92 modem, dual AC power. SSH, web, TACACS, RADIUS, the usual. The only downside I've found is you can't configure the modem for both dial in and dial out at the same time. The Cisco 2511s could do this with 'modem inout'. It feels a little strange having a modem on my desktop machine nowadays, rather than just dialling out of the closest console server.

(Annoying side note: The Apple USB modem isn't supported under MacOS running in 64 bit mode.)

The only other vendor I've looked at is Avocent. They had a neat little feature for selectable cable rollover per port, but pricing wasn't as good as Perle.

Rgds,

- I.