[AusNOG] How to take down fake web site?

Daniel McNamara daniel at auscert.org.au
Wed Nov 3 10:39:58 EST 2010

Frank,

In terms of .com domains registered in bad faith WIPO provides a procedure
to lodge a complaint and ultimately get the site taken down. The process
isn't fast but it does work:

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/guide/index.html

The address details in WHOIS are almost certainly fake.

Other options available are complaining to the registrar the fake domain was
registered through. The site appears to be multihomed on multiple disparate
IP's making take down requests to the hosters difficult.

Someone has mentioned malware - thus far my analysis of the site has turned
up nothing malicious but I'll continue having a look.

- Daniel
  AusCERT