[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

vak vak at alphalink.com.au
Mon Mar 29 17:21:45 EST 2010

> At the moment I'm not aware of any issue with a telco asking a building owner if they can install without having a customer, it's just that building owners are irrational about saying yes to people improving the connectivity options in their building even though it should make renting places out easier!

I was of the understanding that Telstra won't install at a site without
a "Land Access" form being signed by the building/property owner. I was
also of the understanding that if a service has to cross a property,
that again, permission to install wasrequired.

As an aside, it will be interesting to see how NBN treat multi tenancy
dwellings. Historically, Optus would not not install HFC to existing
multi tenancy dwellings, regardless of if the customer/body corporate
wanted it and even if they were prepared to contribute to the build
costs. Foxtel would deliver to existing multi tenancy buidings, but for
most body corporates, the install costs were prohibitive. How will NBN
deal with these situations - I'm sure a large proportion of inner city
dwellers live in such conditions.

Additionally, how will NBN deal with existing properties where either
the conduit is too small, is full, or innaccessible for any other reason
- will the building owner be hit with a $1000 trenching and pit
connection fee ?

In my view, I see the largest expense of this project being around civil
works (even where use of Telstra conduit is allowed).