[AusNOG] NBNCo releases its response to industry consultation

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Fri Mar 26 01:41:51 EST 2010

PON's fine.  CPE is readily available and PON will be forward compatible
for many years at the layer 1/2 layers.  If you need PtP fibre you can
always interconnect the premises fibre directly to a 'spare' fibre in
the enclosure that holds the optical splitter. But you end up with the
question of where do you terminate that?  PtP fibre would be a very,
very large exercise indeed and indeed cost prohibitive.  But you are
correct that it will provide maximum flexibility along with maximum cost
(capex and opex).  But I have to agree, that for $43B it would have been
good to have a formal study conducted (and released) showing the costs
of both against the benefits.  But I am comfortable that all things
considered PON is the right choice.

As for using multiple standards depending on sites, that's where things
get interesting.  They need to standardise things as best they can.
That's actually why the Governments legislation forcing FttP on all new
developments is a poor policy decision.  As I personally told the
Minister personally last year, I believe they should have mandated that
all new development install 'community conduit' or NBN conduit and all
residential lead-ins' should be either 32mm or 50mm in size and simply
leave it at that.  That way Telstra can rollout their copper and should
NBN Co get overbuild seamlessly and cost effectively to those
communities.

I firmly believe that most of the FttP the Government will force
developers to install will actually be pulled out should NBN proceed.
It will be much more cost effective from a 50 year maintenance
perspective to have a single fibre platform for NBN rather than trying
to manage legacy vendor product connecting homes.  Furthermore, it will
create monopoly islands in the meantime and perhaps even more concerning
is that you should expect a flock of "less reputable" organisations
entering this space to offer cheap and nasty FttP solutions.

But hey - what do I know...

Cheers

[b]