[AusNOG] RFC2317 support among Australian ISPs

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Tue Mar 16 14:13:33 EST 2010

It's going to be fascinating to see how everyone copes with reverse mappings
for IPv6 PTR records in the near future.

NAT won't exist, so end users' systems will have public addresses (which
we can't predict/assign because they're allocated by SLAAC) and
they'll probably want public reverse mappings too.  While we could all
get our nameservers to dynamically create them on demand according
to a pattern/template, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of customers out there
who will want substantially more flexibility than that.

Anyone who doesn't have a way of enabling customers to maintain their
own DNS data probably needs to have some plans to move in that
direction, eh?  With EUI-64 bound to the MAC address of the customer's
network interface, I doubt any service provider wants to take helpdesk
requests to update reverse mappings every time a customer upgrades
their PC or buys a new WiFi adaptor...

  - mark