[AusNOG] DC Flooded in Melbourne

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 07:37:45 EST 2010

I've seen this before in a storm I got stuck in Brisbane once where you get bucket loads of hail and heavy rain at the same time. Hail falls and gets washed into storm water grates where it semi-freezes again. So now you have all of the storm water grates blocked by hail/ice and a torrential downpour so the water has no option but to flow down whatever path it can (ie. the road system).

Same thing can happen on gutters/rooftops/downpipes if you get too much hail at once.

regards,
Tony.