[AusNOG] Favourite ATM redundancy techniques?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Mar 12 15:14:56 EST 2010

ATM failover didn't really depend on the encapsulation.

AAL5 is what was used for things like CLIP, LANE etc
AAL2 IIRC was a video, CBR kind of encoding.

The vendor I used to (almost) work for had a Smart Switched Virtual Circuits system which rerouted VCs in case of failure.

What you can use will probably be vendor and hw specific.

MMC
(who used to build big ATM networks in the early/mid 90s).