[AusNOG] A wonderful dramatic increase in IPv6 allocations

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Thu Mar 11 12:13:27 EST 2010

Hi Folks,

Apologies for the cross posting, but I thought many of you might find this interesting. I've bee watching the IPv6 allocation stats with some interest given the implementation of the APNIC policy proposal "prop-073: Simplifying allocation/assignment of IPv6 to APNIC members with existing IPv4 addresses" (authored by Andy Linton and myself) hit the streets in February.

Pursuant to the policy recommendations APNIC have made some effort to spread the word and have badged the effort "Kickstart IPv6".

Attached is a chart of the 'by month allocation count' since 2005..

You should note that there were 194 allocations/assignments made in ALL of 2009.. So far in 2010 there have been 190 allocations/assignments made..

So.. do you have your v6 allocation yet?

.. and the next question, when are you going to route it and use it...
I'll be happily watching the v6 routing table :-)

Cheers
Terry