[AusNOG] International Performance Issues

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Tue Mar 2 17:59:26 EST 2010

Hey Nog,

I am seeing really reduced performance to international sites at the moment - we've got a client with an VPN tunnel who is seeing 100ms of jitter and very low sustained throughput. Similarly, I have another client who has an international managed WAN circuit with Orange and they are seeing the same thing as well.

Whilst ICMP latency on both my DSL link and my IP transit link in Brisbane (same provider) appears to be normal, sustained throughput is a lot less than usually expected. There was some rumor on the grapevine that there was an international fiber cut - is there any truth to this?

Regards,
Curtis

PS: How bloody wet is it up here? We're supposed to be the sunshine state!