[AusNOG] (bad) cyber security and ideas coming out of the woodwork?!

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Thu Jun 24 14:12:33 EST 2010

I have to butt in here, hosting one metric ** tonne of servers, it's the *nix ones that get compromised more often than our windows ones. (I know, because AusCert sends me emails every time one is compromised.).

The Windows Vs Linux Debate is dead. Both are as bad as one another for compromises.

Home users running Windows get targeted, and server farms running *nix get targeted just as easily.

Before someone starts bashing the macs-are-safe bandwagon, BSD and Mac OsX Servers are just as likely to get attacked / rootkitted / compromised / dial home to a botnet.

Having a software dependant package installed on ANY machine that is considered the target is just bad karma. It just doesn't work, and unless it stays ahead of the pack, the software will be specifically targeted and disabled as part of any smart malware attack.