[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion date changed to December.

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Tue Jun 22 15:21:38 EST 2010

On 22/06/2010, at 9:37 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:

>> I disagree, with the added latency, overhead and resulting poor speed I
>> personally think tunnels are only good for testing and a "hey I am on the
>> v6 net!". I think a poor experience with tunnels would taint the view of
>> IPv6 from an end user point of view.
>
> Hogwash.  NAT vs encapsulation is about equal cost in the CPE device.
> You only have to size/distribute the tunnel endpoints on the ISP's
> side.  The extra 20 bytes per packet is nothing.

In theory this is true. In practice the world is not quite so straightforward.

We've added fine-grained timers to the web server and we've started timing the delivery of extremely small gif images comparing the delivery times of IPv4 to IPv6. The results are interesting, in that while the time to deliver the IPv6 object has been comparable to IPv4 when the client has a conventional unicast IPv6 address, when the client is using a source address that identifies it as using a 6to4 tunnel, or when the client uses a source address that identifies it as a Teredo based client, then the server-side measurement of the object delivery time shows the tunnel IPv6 delivery times as being, on average, slower.

http://www.potaroo.net/stats/1x1/6uv6typesdiff.png

>> Really I think native transit is the best way to bring it out to the
>> consumer. Someone like an Internode (or another large ISPs) providing CPEs
>> with native IPv6 enabled by default (on the wan and lan) (correct me if I
>> am wrong and this is already happening) would be an excellent way to
>> improve IPv6 adoption, probably without the end user even knowing it!
>
> Native is better if only because there is likely to be less configuration.

Or less opportunity to get the 6to4 tunnel relay addresses confused.

The relatively longer delivery times for 6to4 clients are interesting because the reverse path of the server to client is V4 all the way, as the server has a 6tf interface and it routes 2002::/16 down that tunnel interface. So the longer time to deliver an object to a 6to4 client may well be because they are using a remote 6to4 relay server and the path of client -> relay server -> V6 web server is far longer than the direct client -> web server path using V4.

  Geoff