[AusNOG] Telstra and NBN co sign Financial heads of agreement.

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 22 11:34:20 EST 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, Paul Brooks wrote:

> On 21/06/2010 10:21 AM, Kai wrote:
> > Related link that might give a bit more info:
> >
> > Telstra signs transfer deal
> > www.itnews.com.au/News/215939,nbn-co-to-buy-telstra-for-11-billion.aspx
>
> This link seems to have the most detail - from the horses mouth so-to-speak.
>
> http://www.dbcde.gov.au/broadband/national_broadband_network/policy_statements
>
> Interesting how the sections relating to restrictions on Foxtel cable
> and services don't seem to have been picked up by the mainstream press
> coverage yet.

The bit where they can only lay new HFC next to where it's already laid,
and where FTTN is also available? I also found this bit rather interesting:

"These arrangements will not prevent developers from using other companies
to roll-out fibre networks in new developments if they wish, but such
networks will need to comply with the technical specifications of the NBN
and be operated on an open access basis, and just like the NBN wholesale
services would be offered on an equivalent basis."

as it puts paid to the fears that NBN would be a legislated monopoly
L2 provider. I assume "equivalent basis" means for the same cost?

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |