[AusNOG] Why not Symmetric ingress and egress?

Bob Purdon bobp at purdon.id.au
Sun Jun 20 07:12:46 EST 2010

> Like, for example, cloud backup services (for your home computers),
> which are a total waste of time with the current uplink speeds (and quotas).

Again, remembering that the current plans on offer are residential
plans, I don't really see the problem.

I *do* backup my home server to an off-site location, ever day, over
1500/256 DSL.  It runs in the early hours and honestly doesn't run for
long.  It's a differential backup (rsync), and currently my upload data
is not counted (although I've just changed plans and it will be in a few
days).

Maybe your average home user has more storage than me (about 2TB)?