[AusNOG] Why not Symmetric ingress and egress?

Craig Askings craig at askings.com.au
Sat Jun 19 21:19:01 EST 2010

Yes the default behavior under windows has been to set tcp window
scaling for quite some time. However I had the pcap files to prove it
wasn't being set for that app.

Even with that and other evidence it took a long time for them to come
around to the idea that latency can actually impact transfer speeds.
"But it works fast here, it must be your Internet connection" etc.
Even pointing out that I had over 50 mbit/s of spare outbound didn't
stop them telling me that repeatedly.

How they managed to overide the default tcp socket settings without
realising, I will never know. I gave up trying as it wasn't worth my
time.
Craig.