[AusNOG] Why not Symmetric ingress and egress?

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Jun 17 10:10:57 EST 2010

Stephen - the GPON technology they are considering has a natural 2:1
ratio as part of the tech standard (2.5Gbps down, 1.25 Gbps up, shared
amongst ~32 drops in the PON), which is one consideration - and  much
better than the 20:1 ratio inherent in DSL - Hence the 100Mbps down, 50
Mbps up plans. There is no technical reason why an RSP couldn't offer
something like 50 Mbps symmetric though.

The next generation 10GPON has the same 2:1 ratio down:up.

Business plans are expected to be much more symmetric, as well as
extending beyond 100Mbps to 1 Gbps as available customer link speeds on
day 1.

NB Last I heard, the ONT is likely to have gigabit-capable ethernet
ports - so expanding even residential accesses higher than 100 Mbps is
likely to be little more than a provisioning exercise, once the backend
capacity planning is taken care of.

P.