[AusNOG] Why not Symmetric ingress and egress?

John Lindsay JLindsay at internode.com.au
Thu Jun 17 09:59:45 EST 2010

It's mostly a way of differentiating business services from domestic services.

Access seekers will be paying by the megabit up and down.

When I say differentiating what I mean of course is "enabling charging more for".

Based on ISP experience asymmetric service keeps traffic in better balance.

There are also some limits in the FTTH network architecture that mean there is less total bandwidth in the back channel.

It is easy to prioritise the traffic from one head end to hundreds of end users.  It is much harder to control those end points when they each want to transmit over one shared path.  The network uses much the same protocol as WiFi for controlling this.

Cheers,

jsl