[AusNOG] Rudd Dumps AusCERT to create Government run CERT

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Fri Jun 11 08:16:19 EST 2010

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:40:08 +0700
Grahame Lynch <grahamelynch at commsdaymail.com> wrote:

> *A column I have written for tomorrow's CommsDay, I only post it as a
> conversation starter, if I am violating some nuance of the "media"
> restrictions on AusNOG I apologise in advance:*
>
> Boiling the Internet frog slowly
>
> Ever get the feeling that the Internet’s original “management culture”—the
> non-profit and well-meaning experts who dedicated their time to a) creating
> it and b) making it work on a pervasive, global scale—is slowly seeping away
> in the face of creeping government regulation and intervention?

I'm reminded of this RFC,

"The Internet is for Everyone"
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3271.txt

and this paragraph -

   Internet is for everyone - but it won't be if Governments restrict
   access to it, so we must dedicate ourselves to keeping the network
   unrestricted, unfettered and unregulated.  We must have the freedom
   to speak and the freedom to hear.