[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Wed Jun 9 01:00:59 EST 2010

Regardless of quotes and he-said she-said..

I think the question/points raised are very important as is the need for
these things to be better legally defined so such a fiasco can't occur
in the same way again.

I made comments earlier on how we don't know what google is or was up to
for certain and we have to leave it to the legal depts. however it's
also worth realising that for these matters we (Network Operators)
should also be the ones being consulted on these areas. Do we really
want someone like Conroy to have control over exactly how data flows to
and from Australia?

It's shows both how amazing the growth of technology is and how poorly
our legal system is keeping up with the times (not to mention our
politicians) that it took so long for this matter to even be
acknowledged (if you watch the SMH video of conroy earlier on sweeping
responsibilities onto the privacy commissioner -
http://tinyurl.com/27rm8nf) as a possible telecommunications relevent
issue.

There are now many devices which allow a wireless network to be
broadcast without the wires (3G<->Wireless routers, or 3G enabled
phones) which makes me wonder if these devices would be completely
exempt from any interception and open targets for anyone? Scary times ahead.

- Andrew