[AusNOG] Brumby's proposed Under 25 Driving Curfew

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Tue Jun 1 13:15:56 EST 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Karl Kloppenborg <karl at karltec.net> wrote:
> Hey Noggers,
> Bit of a debate here, so Brumby has proposed to have an under 25 driving
> curfew,

Don't worry, as mentioned by the parties interviewed in that article
in the bogan press (Herald Sun) it's political suicide, so he won't do
that.  Similar with the additional demerit points.

<joke>
Perhaps castration as a penalty for drivers who speed past open tram
doors is a better approach to reducing the bogan hordes?

> but hang on, you and me alike we depend on this mode of transport at the
> most late or early of hours, absolutely around the clock?

Seriously?  Cabcharge vouchers.  It's faster when there's heavy
traffic (unless you like driving in bus lanes), for one.

> Last time I checked my servers didn't ask me if I would be busy or able to
> attend before they go down?!?!

They certainly didn't require you to own or operate a car, either.

> I am under 25, what happens when I tell my work, sorry as your sys admin
> after 11PM I can't fix anything that goes down or... oh sh1t!!! Karl we need
> you at the DC right away... sorry guys I can't because its past my
> "curfew"..
> What would my works response be? hrrm...

They would (be required to) give you Cabcharge vouchers.  See my
comments on this being political suicide, mostly due to attitudes like
the one you're stating.  As traffic in your town gets worse, I see not
having to operate a car as a definite health, sanity and financial
benefit.  Think outside the car you live in.

--
Andreux Fort (afort at choqolat.org)