[AusNOG] Google creepier than Conroy?

Andrew Cox andrew at accessplus.com.au
Tue Jun 1 11:05:55 EST 2010

  Why I put a .au on the end I don't know. *facepalm*

From: 	Andrew Cox <andrew at accessplus.com.au>
To: 	Mark Newton <newton at internode.com.au>, ausnog at ausnog.net.au

I'm assuming by "open WiFi provider" you mean "unsecured wireless
hotspot provider" (Intertouch) as opposed to "free wireless provider"
(McDonalds free wifi)

Quoting: http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1764
---
If you answer no to all of the questions, you may be exempt from the
requirement to hold a carrier licence.
If you answer yes to any of the questions, you should contact the ACMA
to discuss your situation. See More information for contact details...

Q.1 Do you receive any direct or indirect reward, monetary or other, for
use by others of your network equipment?
Q.2 Do you have a contract or any other agreement (verbal or written)
with parties involved in the use of the network, dealing, for example,
       with the payment of money and performance obligations?
Q.3 Do you use the network for the purpose of making a profit?
Q.4 Do you have an ABN for use in connection with the operation of the
network?

... There are other WLAN situations, in addition to exempt networks,
where a carrier licence is not required. These situations include:

*- company LANs used by company employees where supply to the public is
not involved;*
*- wireless networks in an (sic) airport lounges, hotels, shopping
centres and Internet cafes where the service is provided in a single place.*
---

It does always get me thou; considering you don't know exactly what an
open network is offering before connecting to it, how is one supposed to
find a wireless hotspot in the first place without prior knowledge of it?

Eg: If I open up my laptop and see an open network called "Bills Coffee
Shop" how am I know if this is a private network that I'm connecting to;
verses a hotspot style network that the Coffee shop is providing for
their customers?

Similarly (although I trust you wouldn't ever do something this dumb)
how am I supposed to know the difference between a free Internode
wireless hotspot and an accidentally unsecured Internode office
accesspoint? By connecting up and trying to get out to the internet? :-D

- Andrew