[AusNOG] Why No Form Of Censorship Is A Good Thing

Karl Kloppenborg karl at karltec.net
Tue Jul 20 10:24:36 EST 2010

Okay here's my two cents,

I am young, fresh from the shackles of highschool, I was that guy you approached who would give you the latest and greatest work around for the school proxy.
I was also the first to make it past the NSW Catholic education systems censor net.
It wasn't hard..

The point is, kids are smart.. they are all little hackers at heart and WILL (120% or ban me off AusNOG) make it past the filter and render it absolutely pointless.
See the problem is, not every kid will have the understanding to make it around the filter, but they all know someone who does...

Especially the girls (the hot ones even more so) Oh karl **insert kiss on cheek here** can you give me access to myspace / facebook at school (or in this case home).. most certainly!

The filter WILL not stop this sort of activity and trust me the kids who this is supposedly preventing are in the age bracket of 13 => 19 which if they are told their getting censored WILL rebel and seek ways around it.

As MMC said, if you the parent allow your child (and this is not a matter of trust with your child, its a matter of safety) to have a computer in their room at 13 / 14 / 15 years of age, then expect someone like me to have absolutely no sympathy for you when your child gets their dose of porn or much much worse.

Its like saying (probably bad example) oh little johnny I trust that you can ride your bike super well, its okay if you don't wear a helmet.

When little Johnny comes off his bike and breaks his skull open I am going to yell, scream and name nasty things against these parents.

For that matter, I have already given two parents reality checks about allowing their kids to have an internet enabled computer in their room, the kids hate me, but the parents did the right thing.

End of the line, if a child wants a computer in their room you either:
A) make sure their is absolutely know feasible way to connect the computer to the internet (ie, make sure it doesn't have a wireless card and no ethernet cables lying around that could reach a modem)
B) tell them NO and suck it up!

A computer that is in the lounge room in plain public sight that is readily monitored will do far better at preventing a porn page popping up or a tragic tragic chat roulette incident from occurring.

Come on, the answer is so simple.. educate the parents who want to help their children, punish the ones who don't want to.

My two cents and sorry about the grammar.

Cheers!
Karl Kloppenborg