[AusNOG] Tech Q: Looking for Cheapest 10G Switches forHobby Lan.

Craig Meyers Craig.Meyers at citec.com.au
Fri Jul 16 15:20:10 EST 2010

With the ether channel setups what throughput are you seeing?

At the high end of town, I find TCP issues to be a source of problems.

With my NAS setup at home, I max at about 20MByte/sec. Win7 desktop
to/from openfiler NAS. Doing some wiresharking/research on it, it's due
to window size/latency issues.

Absolute cheapest would be to make sure you get 10Gb adapters with 2x
10Gb ports and setup a ring topology between the PCs. Saves buying a
switch. Bit fidgety, but it'll get you started.

-- Craig