[AusNOG] Internet Filter Delayed Until 2011

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Fri Jul 9 19:20:26 EST 2010

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:58:00 +1000
Narelle <narellec at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft
> <mmc at internode.com.au> wrote:
> > On 09/07/2010, at 3:05 PM, Narelle wrote:
> >> The list is very probably the same list used in the UK for its opt-in
> >> system of ISP level filtering.
> >
> > The one that blocked Wikipedia? http://apcmag.com/internet_filter_stuffup_cuts_off_wikipedia.htm
> >
> > Awesome.  Let's just wait.
>
> Touche'. Ouch.
>
> It describes material not unlike the controversial shots our pollies
> were incensed over a year or so ago.
>
> I note it is a 2008 article. What is the current status of that block?
> Surely the proof of the pudding is whether the block was removed
> promptly it was deemed inappropriate?
>
> Also, if it is an opt in system, so surely that has some merit?
>
> There are many people that are utterly convinced they cannot do a darn
> thing to maintain their computer, yet they swear by the benefits of
> the many online services they use. Surely there is room within our
> market for such an opt in system?

Room in the market? Might not be. These guys have been filling at
least some of it since 2004 -

http://www.webshield.net.au/

So there is another joke of this saga. The government were going to
mandate into existence something that already does exist commercially.
If you want filtered Internet at the ISP level, you can already buy it.
I'd think a government usually only needs to mandate something into
existence when it either doesn't exist, or what already exists doesn't
actually suit their true agenda ...