[AusNOG] Network Management and Tools

phil colbourn philcolbourn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 01:56:48 EST 2010

Again, that you for sharing your use of network management tools.

I have roughly tallied the main products mentioned: (I counted OpsView as
Nagios+MRTG)

Nagios  7
MRTG  3
Cacti  4
RANCID  5

and notably

PRTG  2
Collectd  2

Many use custom in-house-developed databases, scripts and tools.

A significant number use commercial products.

Most described alarm/event/performance management or configuration backup
products

A few mentioned configuration generation systems.

Does that seem about right? Are these typical of what network operators are
using?

No one mentioned (other NMS products that I have heard of) HP OpenView,
Tivolli, NetCool, cricket, OpenNMS, ZenOSS or even SNMP2XML ;) ?

What concerns me is that once upon a time we used Nagios/NetSaint,
big-brother, cricket, MRTG, and looked at Rancid, Cacti, OpenNMS and
ZenOSS.

Have we moved in the wrong direction?

--
Phil

http://philatwarrimoo.blogspot.com
http://code.google.com/p/snmp2xml

"Someone has solved it and uploaded it for free."

"If I have nothing to hide, you have no reason to look."

Arthur C. Clarke - Who does magic today?