[AusNOG] Netflow analysis for end-user security

Shaun Deans s.deans at bluefibre.com.au
Mon Jul 5 17:53:51 EST 2010

Ø  Wondering how many of you analyse your end-users' flows for general anomalies, known malware/botnet signatures or other stuff for the purpose of detecting infected/owned boxes?   No need to get too specific.  In some regions it seems to be pretty common, from what I've seen/heard it's not so much done here.

We have our Flow data going to two collectors.

1. Is custom scripts on PMAcct which Summarizes for billing purposes and throws in a DB. This is then  exposed to clients in our billing system.

2. Is a copy of flow analyzer from NetManage which we have alerts setup on over client ip groups.

We then get emailed if a client goes feral.

This collector stores up to 1 month of individual flow data for debugging.
We also have it set to mail us a pretty summary nightly to keep an eye on the state of the nation.