[AusNOG] Incorrect DNS setup

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Jul 5 11:33:20 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 10:16 +1000, Karl Kloppenborg wrote:

> A) I navigate to blah.com.au and is goes "can't connect to this
> server" I append www. to the domain (it ends up being www.blah.com.au)
> and I get their website.
>

> or
>

> B)The reverse of this, I navigate to www.blah.com.au and it says
> "Can't connect to server", but I go to blah.com.au and it is all cool.

There is no requirement to have a website on  blah.com, as there is also
no requirement to have one on www.blah.com
It's just been the more expected way, you could put your website on
foobar.blah.com for all the Web/DNS cares, but not many people will
likely find it

> B) Where did the use of appending www. to the front of things
> originate from?

google is your friend, this list is not a classroom

> C) also I see sometimes www1. or www2. on some websites, can someone
> explain these to me?

irrelevant, you call it whatever you want, mostly this is used in some
hosting companies so they don't need to think up silly custom names.
With so much phishing around these days, what would you trust
www1.netbank,   www2.netbank? or ...  hotpies.netbank,
fishnchips.netbank

(Oh I hope mailscanner doesnt think i'm impersonating netbank now and tag this message as suspected fraud :))