[AusNOG] Network Management and Tools

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Mon Jul 5 10:15:09 EST 2010

On 05/07/2010, at 10:08 AM, Tim Warnock wrote:

> Both OpenNMS and Zabbix can do both reporting and graphing in one.

Yup, as can Zenoss.  Problem is would you consider either of these a real replacement for Nagios?   I had a good long hard look at Zenoss and decided that, no, it's not suitable for me.  I tried to install a simple "icmp latency" reporting zenpack and it worked for one target and broke as soon as I used it to monitor multiple wan circuits.  Great.  Then there were semi-random Zope issues etc.  Great.  I know nothing about Zope or python so I was struggling.

About to start an evaluation of OpenNMS in the same light.  I hope it goes better.  I'm still running nagios and cacti.

David