[AusNOG] conroy reaffirms commitment to filter

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Jul 1 23:54:31 EST 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:22:30 +1000
"Curtis Bayne" <curtis at bayne.com.au> wrote:

> Exactly right, but what's the worst that can happen? Government is steamrolling ahead with filtering anyway, so we may as well play the card while we've got the opportunity.
>
> As I mentioned before, this is not a facts-based argument and people will quickly overlook hypocrisy when there is outrage to be had.

I'm reminded of a song, possibly before you're time ...

"Hypocrisy Is the Greatest Luxury"
(Raise the Double Standard)

by The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

It seems to me that at a certain point, you need to take a stand,
regardless of the cost.

I won't feel this way when I read my letters, and I won't feel this way
when I answer my phone - so why should I (under a Controy régime) feel
this way then I access the Internet?

"... The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound
that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be
picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of
vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as
heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being
watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought
Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even
conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate
they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live —
did live, from habit that became instinct — in the assumption that
every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every
movement scrutinized."

"Nineteen Eighty-four" by George Orwell
http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/o/orwell/george/o79n/