[AusNOG] Comcast trialling IPv6

Andreux Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Jan 28 11:33:09 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Scott Howard <scott at doc.net.au> wrote:
> What makes this particularly interesting is that a large percentage of
> Comcast customers get their CPE from Comcast.  In some cases this is
> optional (eg, if you're only getting Internet from them), but in many
> cases it's required (voice/triple-play customers).  For them to be
> getting to the customer trial stage would hopefully imply the that at
> least have their CPE vendors onboard to some extent...

Having recently left the US and cancelled my comcast service, I don't
remember for sure, but IIRC, you only got a DOCSIS 3.0 modem if you
bought the 'mega turbo extreme fully sick' 50mbit/sec package (i.e.,
only if you really needed it), which was $149.95 a month or
there-abouts, or about $50 more than the next tier.

And since their local plant and peering made that somewhat pointless
(two folks from comcast, including an install tech I spoke to said
"well, I mean you have the 15mbit/sec service now, I wouldn't bother
with the faster one because it's not really any faster"), I doubt they
have that many customers on DOCSIS 3.0 CPEs (hence the modem rental
spike as they'll have to swap those in the coming years).

Their standard CPEs are Motorola Surfboards as used by Telstra/Optus here.

--
Andreux Fort (afort at choqolat.org)