[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Fri Jan 22 14:24:35 EST 2010

On 22/01/2010, at 1:10 PM, Dasmo wrote:

> The internet doesn't work like TV though and people don't respond the same way as they would with TV.

Guys, perhaps this debate is better suited to, oh, I dunno, 2004 or something.

We're now at the stage where it needs to be done regardless of any
justifications presented to the marketplace.  In case you haven't noticed,
IANA and the RIRs have been attempting to create a sense of urgency
now to get the thing moving along while we still have time to do it in a
controlled manner.  Because if we wait until the forecasted drop-dead dates
then the whole industry is going to be in a world of pain in about 18
months, right?

So I suggest energy be directed at making it all happen, and leaving
marketing strategy to the marketing folks (perhaps on an AusMOG
mailing list or something, if that's what takes their fancy, so that we don't
have to read about any of it here. :)  Regardless of how it's sold we're
going to have to do it anyway, and it's time to just get on with it.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)