[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Thu Jan 21 14:51:01 EST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:27:00 +1100
Nick Brown <nick at inticon.net.au> wrote:

> On 21/01/2010, at 11:59 AM, Mark Newton wrote:
> >
> > Not when the market is as price competitive as it is.
> >
> > The more likely outcome I see is that IPv4 will be more and more
> > aggressively
> > NATted, making it suck more and more, inspiring customers to migrate
> > themselves
> > to IPv6-supporting CPE simply to make the Internet work properly
> > again.
> >
> > Content providers will need to be ahead of the curve on that, of
> > course,
> > because they're going to be out of luck if all their subscribers have
> > sucky IPv4 Internet access and they can't offer an IPv6
> > alternative.  I wonder
> > how many of them have worked that out yet?
>
> At the risk of adopting the ISP vs CPE Vendor circle, the content
> providers (In the sense of hosting service providers) are seeing very
> little movement on the v6 implementation front from the larger
> software vendors.

Which particular ones / equipment? Networking gear (i.e. routers mainly)
generally supports it and has done so for quite a while, as have most
end-user OSes.

If you're talking about things like load balancers, I don't necessarily
think that needs to be a show stopper. The early volumes of IPv6 traffic
is going to be no where near that of IPv4, so I doubt the initial load
is going to be significant enough that solutions like load balancers
are required. I'd think deploying an IPv6 to IPv4 reverse proxy would be
a fairly simple, quick and fairly way to get content available over
IPv6.