[AusNOG] Less than 10% of IPv4 Addresses Remain Unallocated

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Thu Jan 21 12:28:19 EST 2010

On 21/01/2010, at 12:19 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> On 21/01/2010, at 11:42 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>

>> On 21/01/2010, at 11:07 AM, Geoff Huston wrote:
>>>
>>> What tends to get tractions with vendors, large and small, is purchase orders!
>>
>> The issue is that the people who place the BIG orders in the world aren't asking for it yet.   We've been willing to flash the cash at any vendor who can actually sell us something but we're tiny in a world context for buy CPE.
>
> Just to explain:
>
> If the big telcos aren't buying IPv6 capable CPE then they don't support IPv6 hence no demand.

True. So what we are expecting at this point is that the largest, least agile, most risk averse players in the market will need to set the trend in the supply side of the industry to provide impetus for the overall provision of IPv6 goods and services into this market.

As a plan to work to a fixed deadline, you might agree that it has some elements of weakness.

:-)

  Geoff