[AusNOG] [Fwd: [bogon-announce] IANA IPv4 allocations and bogonupdate 1/8 and 27/8]

Steve Lisson SteveL at dedicatedservers.net.au
Wed Jan 20 13:54:33 EST 2010

Unfortunately it is more common that what might think, there has been
some discussion on Nanog regarding it (including comments like 'Most
ISP's, if not all, null route 1.0.0.0/8 therefore you shouldn't
encounter any problems using it in a private network.' and taking from
Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Private use of other reserved addresses

Several other address ranges, in addition to the official private
ranges, are reserved for other or future uses, including 1.0.0.0/8 and
2.0.0.0/8[1]. Though discouraged, some enterprises have begun to use
this address space internally for interconnecting private networks to
eliminate the chance of address conflicts when using standards-based
private ranges.[citation needed]

Steve