[AusNOG] Experiences with web load balancers

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Fri Jan 15 13:56:27 EST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 6:12 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

>  I'm a CCNP, so I'm leaning towards Cisco, but the 4710s aren't really Cisco boxes anyway, just re-badged Arrowpoints.

Actually, this is incorrect.

Cisco have set forth four successive generations of load-balancers, from four separate acquisitions, all with completely different operating paradigms and all bearing no relation to one another in terms of capabilities, deployment scenarios, or anything else.  The Arrowpoint acquisition - the Arrowpoint-based devices were horrible junk, totally unusable in any kind of real production environment - were the second generation.  The ACE devices represent the fourth generation, again, from a completely separate acquisition.

> I'm hoping to get some feedback on good and bad experiences with different vendors.

My unremittingly poor experiences with all four generations of Cisco load-balancers in large-scale environments has led me to the conclusion that the Cisco load-balancers are completely inappropriate for anything other than internal, medium-enterprise applications.  Cisco in fact do not market their load-balancers for large-scale Internet deployments, but rather focus on enterprise applications.

Netscaler and F5 would be my recommendation, if mod_backhand won't suffice for your particular application.

<http://www.backhand.org/mod_backhand/>

Under no circumstances would I recommend any of the various Cisco load-balancers for public-facing applications.

And whichever load-balancing system you end up using, keep in mind that it's a stateful DDoS chokepoint; one must implement BCPs such as stateless ACLs in hardware to enforce policy, S/RTBH and/or other mechanisms as a DDoS reaction mechanism, et. al.  The load-balancing system itself, and everything southbound of it, must be protected against DDoS.

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken