[AusNOG] Telstra doubles wireless internet speed

Darren Moss Darren.Moss at em3.com.au
Tue Feb 16 18:11:44 EST 2010

Hi Noggers,

I thought this information was interesting from Telstra today.
I have done my best to edit the fluff out of this post.

Telstra doubles the speed of its Next G HSPA+ network

      Mitchell Bingemann
      From: The Australian
      February 16, 2010 12:00AM

TELSTRA has doubled the speed of its Next G HSPA+ network to allow
theoretical maximum download speeds of 42 megabits per second and says
speeds of up to 82Mbps are now only a year away.

The download speed increase, from 21Mbps to 42Mbps, has been made
possible by a software upgrade to Telstra's Next G network using dual
carrier technology.
The next promised speed increase to 82Mbps puts the wireless network's
theoretical speed close to the government's vow of 100Mbps on the
national broadband network.

"Dual carrier is a technique where you combine two conventional HSPA+
channels simultaneously to double the peak speed on a data modem,"
Telstra executive director of wireless, Mike Wright said.

However, although the network is capable of peak speeds of 42Mbps,
real-life speeds are likely to only hit a quarter of the peak rate.
"Today we tell our customers to expect between 550kbps and 8Mbps in the
real world, but with this dual carrier technology we can now double
that," Mr Wright said.tner Ericsson, with Qualcomm and Sierra Wireless
joining the team to deliver a HSPA+ Dual Carrier chipset and device.

"While LTE remains on Telstra's technology roadmap, there is a huge
amount of potential remaining in HSPA+. We will take full advantage of
this by again doubling our peak network speeds to 84Mbps through the
implementation of HSPA+ Dual Carrier plus MIMO technology during 2011,"
Mr Thodey said.

Regards,

Darren Moss
General Manager
Australia and New Zealand
[p] 1300 131 083 [f] 03 9017 2287
[e] Darren.Moss at em3.com.au [w] www.em3.com.au <http://www.em3.com.au/>

em3 People and Technology | Managed Technology Experts
postal: PO Box 2333, Moorabbin VIC 3189

New Zealand Airedale Street, Auckland City
postal: PO Box 39573, Howick 2045
[p] 09 887 0550 [f] 09 887 0273