[AusNOG] reminder on submissions to NBN Co, Comms Alliance and DBCDE....

Stephen Carter Stephen.Carter at workingtech.com
Wed Feb 10 08:33:43 EST 2010

Some of my Comments (2 cents)

NBN is destined to either fail or cause all Australian citizens to be laden with more debt than can be realised from productivity benefits of the NBN. I think it is a great idea, but only an unwise politician that does not like his job would make an impossible election promise without having given this some thought. It is not possible for the public sector to deliver this service. What is even worse is that the government is making the same mistake as before creating a single monopoly that a future government will have to clean up. And at the amount they intend to spend without any chance of every recovering back from the NBN investment I am certain that our children's children will still be complaining about the stupidity. Not that the bonds market are complaining.

The obvious and easy answer is to encourage two companies to achieve certain diluted measurable outcomes, it is not impossible. A commercial view to rollout will alter the end result and achieve very similar productivity outcomes. Sure both companies should be equally funded by the government at a much smaller amount and allow them to create true competition and true choice. This will also in my view result in a faster rollout and better resources for all. Sure the NBN co can go and rollout services in remote areas as this is a social responsibility of the government. But let businesses run business not bureaucrats and the government fulfil their social responsibility.

I would estimate that with a fraction of the suggested public funding and new government enforced network consistency standards imposed by the government, that reliable fast speeds can be delivered in short term to over 75% of the population within the 8 years and that public debt could commence being repaid. This would also introduce redundancy to the node (seemingly overlooked to date). But I would guess that that horse has bolted already.

The government should be actively encouraging a competitor to the NBN not trying to destroy one.

Even small issues have been overlooked that has significant risk of altering outcomes and budgets. One example is:

As a director of a SP and looking at the intended delivery models I am a bit confused as to the following:
a)	Having the NBN service theoretically appearing to be an always on service and
b)	With easy porting to another reseller at very short notice by switching to another resellers aggregation circuits
c)	Together with the vast arrays of different delivery technologies (seemingly incorporating unapproved VDSL technology, thanks to Telstra, in Multi Dwelling Units MDU's)

Who will be responsible for the CPE? If it is the NBN co how much will that cost for ongoing replacement, damage, theft, etc.. if it the reseller then (a) is not possible, if it is the end user then what happens when they move to another location that requires different CPE due to circuit type?

Will the NBN be delivering into the dwelling or terminating at the property boundary like most other services in most states (gas, water etc). Who will pay for the final delivery from the property boundary to the CPE? Who will be liable for future damage to fibre if there are issues within the boundary of a premises. Can the NBN just access your property if they want and dig up your property? Will they be able to enforce easements over owners of fixed property?

In MDU's who will be managing the access concentrators? What about real world operational issues (heat, security, environment, space to install, poor power feeds, providing power to the access concentrators etc...) or will the buildings be forced to buy and maintain these devices that they will not be able to control or have the skill to?

If the NBN co do not buy the existing exchanges from Telstra or sign very long access leases and rather decide to introduce their own mini pop's bypassing the Exchanges, the NBN will destroy Telstra as they are today. I am not a shareholder in Telstra, but if I was I would be rethinking my position as the legacy services of copper as the last mile will have to become extinct leaving a very debt laden company in ruin, what is the real net employment position of all those "new jobs" the NBN is supposed to be creating?

I generally agree with many of the other commentators opinions and observations. I do however wish the NBN Co well, but I would bet my house on this either costing over twice what they intend (when has the government ever come close to delivering to budget on large projects) or will become a very expensive huge white elephant. Just look at the achievements of the Department of Broadband and the Digital Economy and how well they handle their budget and outcomes. Two years up and not much outcome, the proposals I have seen to date seem to come from an Alcatel product brochure :) .

The Public Sector just can't achieve the outcome at the price needed.

I do wish them luck and hope that they are successful for all our sakes.

Stephen Carter
Director
Working Technology
Level 20
31 Market Street - Sydney - 2000
Tel: 02 9475 7777 - Fax: 02 9475 7788
Internet: www.workingtech.com
The content of this e-mail is intended solely for the use of the Individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
If you have received this communication in error, be aware that forwarding it, copying it, or in any way
disclosing its content to any other person, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail immediately.

Stephen Carter
Working Technology