[AusNOG] Network Monitoring Systems

Darren Moss Darren.Moss at em3.com.au
Tue Feb 9 16:12:47 EST 2010

Hi,

We use a combination of BB4 which has been customised with scripts,
probes, etc we developed + Nagios.
Both products are excellent.

BB4 is a paid product and an upgrade to the old Open Source release of
BB.
Runs on UNIX (Solaris), Linux and Windows boxes.

Nagios works just as well, but more cumbersome to configure and deploy.
We've developed a web interface to configure up new nodes so our
helpdesk staff can configure up new monitoring rules quickly for host
deployments.

Another package to check out is Cacti.

Go for cross-platform tools with no lock-ins.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Regards,

Darren Moss
General Manager
Australia and New Zealand
[p] 1300 131 083 [f] 03 9017 2287
[e] Darren.Moss at em3.com.au [w] www.em3.com.au <http://www.em3.com.au/>

Reach me on extension 105.
For technical support, please visit our website.

em3 People and Technology | Managed Technology Experts
postal: PO Box 2333, Moorabbin VIC 3189

New Zealand Airedale Street, Auckland City
postal: PO Box 39573, Howick 2045
[p] 09 887 0550 [f] 09 887 0273

DataCentre Hosting : Managed Software : Hosted Microsoft Exchange Server
System Replication and Disaster Recovery : Spam Filtering and Virus
Control

This communication may contain confidential or privileged information
intended solely for the individual or entity above. If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, interfere with, disclose, copy or
retain this email and you should notify the sender immediately by return
email or by contacting our office on +61 1300 131 083. Opinions
expressed here are not necessarily those of em3 People and Technology
Pty Ltd.