[AusNOG] Fw: Youtube-over-IPv6

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Tue Feb 2 17:44:53 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Mark Smith
<nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> wrote:

> My understanding is that you have to get in contact with them, and
> provide them with your DNS resolver IP addresses. When they then see
> DNS queries from those addresses then they'll serve both As and AAAAs.

Even with a registered nameserver I'm not seeing any AAAA replies from
them for Youtube.

It was stated elsewhere that youtube.com itself wasn't IPv6, but the
image/content servers are supposed to be - but I'm seeing everything
related to youtube come in over IPv4.

I am getting to several other Google sites over IPv6 (including
search, gmail, apps, and others) so there's nothing wrong with either
my connectivity or my DNS servers.

If you want IPv6 for Google you need to go through the instructions at
http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/ to 'register' your nameservers.
Basically it's google's way of handing clients where IPv6 is
configured but not functioning, which would otherwise break in some
way or another if they started returing AAAA responses for all
clients.

  Scott.