[AusNOG] New list charter from the AusNOG Board

David Connors david at codify.com
Mon Dec 20 20:36:37 EST 2010

On 19 December 2010 14:07, Mark Newton <newton at internode.com.au> wrote:

> Is it just me, or has the entirety of the discussion following the posting
> of
> the new list charter been, in itself, a violation of the list charter?
>
> (and pointless, and bureaucratic, and elevating process over outcomes,
> as if anyone really believes that adding a checkbox will make any
> difference
> whatsoever to anything)
>
> Shutting up now...

+1

I look after several mailing lists for programming stuff (a couple of
thousand users across 10 lists or so). Every so often everyone goes into
navel-gazing mode about too much OT stuff or too much stuff not appropriate
etc. Then someone suggests settings up a <whatever>-OT list - which happens
and about 3 people join and all of the OT and inappropriate stuff stays on
the main list.

At the end of the day, a list is driven by its members producing the
content. You can have all the charters you want, but short of actual
moderation by a person or invitation only membership structure, the list
will be what it will be.

Reading between the lines on people worried about liability, the desired
objective could probably be achieved by including a footer along the lines
of "The views posted on this list do not represent the views of the ausnog
board and their employers yaddayaddayadda. Continued posting of off-topic
content will result in a ban."

--
*David Connors* | david at codify.com | www.codify.com
Software Engineer