[AusNOG] Fortinet

Marcus Emanuel @ HostCorp marcus at hostcorp.com.au
Sat Dec 18 23:55:12 EST 2010

Bruce,

Regarding your 'fortinet in real life' general question.

We use these at client sites, and in our Datacenter Hosting Environments for
over 6 years. Never missed a beat reliability wise, and a great useful
feature set.

We use them for Core routing with BGP as well as separate units for
Firewall/Anti Spam/AV. Anything FG-80C model and above these days will push
50Mbit+ AV/AS Traffic happily, and Hundreds of Mbit (Check spec sheet for
exact) of general processed firewall traffic via the GigE Ports. As you can
see from thieir site, they have devices/blades that go right up to 10gbE
AV/AS Throughput for Carrier class operation. FortiOS 4.0 is Excellent, and
makes managing all the Firewall rules much easier than Prior OS's.

We also use the Forti Analyzer Boxes. Essentially, this allows you to pull
extended reports right from your router/firewall unit with the back end
data/reporting being pushed through by the FortiAnalyzer. Logging to the
FortiAnalyzers didn't seem to have as much (or any) of aperformance hit as
syslog or local RAM/Disk logging.

With any of the upstream Transit providers we have used over the years, BGP
has always worked seamlessly, with no one ever complaining 'Hey that's not
Cisco!' We are even using them happily as an LNS for Layer 2 DSL Handoff.

Would be happy to give you more info or help off list. As you can tell I am
a big Fortinet fan. (As are some of australias largest Telcos for certain
elements of their networks).

I cant think of anything you cant do with one, they are a bit of a swiss
army knife device, but like anything,  size them appropriately for the job
at hand - or scale them over multiple units in HA Active-Active config.

Cheers,
Marcus.