[AusNOG] Alumina vs AINS Update

Dale Clapperton Dale.Clapperton at staff.pipenetworks.com
Thu Dec 16 19:04:36 EST 2010

(At the risk of reigniting this accursed thread - please god don't do
it...)
(Also, the usual disclaimers are incorporated here by reference as if
set forth in full)

At common law, there used to be a distinction between libel and slander
(not defamation).  This distinction has been abolished in all
jurisdictions by the uniform defamation laws (see e.g.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/da200599/s7.html) ,
and whether the publication is of a transient or permanent nature, there
is a single tort of "defamation" (see e.g.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/da200599/s6.html).

The situation concerning truth as a defence is somewhat more
complicated.  Truth has, so far as I am aware (and without doing any
research), historically been a defence in all states and territories,
but before the national uniform defamation laws kicked in, some
states/territories required that it was true, *and* that the publication
was for the public benefit (i.e. truth alone was not sufficient)
(Queensland was in the 2nd category).

The requirement for public benefit was criticised by some as making it
too easy for people to bring SLAPP-style defamation actions.  Now that
it has been abolished, it has been criticised as facilitating invasions
of privacy.  If public benefit was a requirement, it would be defamatory
to publish to the world at large that "X cheats on his wife" even if it
were true, if X was a private individual and there was no public benefit
in publishing the same.  This has been an interesting argument to watch
because often the people arguing in favour of free speech are the same
people arguing in favour of privacy rights.

Dale