[AusNOG] Alumina vs AINS Update

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Wed Dec 15 01:41:23 EST 2010

AFAIK Australian law makes no difference between libel and slander - they are both covered equally under the Defamation Act 2005.

Truth is not a defence in and of itself, the legal test also adds the condition "for public benefit". There is also opinion/fair comment as a mitigation.

Defamation is not "illegal" -  it is a civil tort - and therefore the burden of proof is on the balance of probabilities, not beyond reasonable doubt.

I am not a lawyer, my information should not be construed as advice. Assume everything I just said is wrong until you are advised otherwise by a qualified professional.

The fine people at Minter Ellison however ARE qualified in this regard and I can reccomend their services, regardless of which side of the courtroom you happen to be sitting. :)

Sent from my HTC Touch Pro