[AusNOG] Best Open-Source Flow analyzer tools

Sean K. Finn sean.finn at ozservers.com.au
Mon Dec 13 14:41:42 EST 2010

Hi AusNOG.

I'm looking for recommendations on the best open-source gui based visualisation tools for Flows.

Currently I'm using a paid-for Solar-Winds Flow-viewer that hangs off a MySQL Database, but runs Java as the web server / portal software. I think the current revision is called http://www.solarwinds.com/products/orion/nta/

It keeps getting clunky, and I keep throwing more hardware at it, but JAVA is just a pig.
I'm looking for alternatives because I really hate running Java.

My question to list is, what Open-Source alternatives are out there, and are there any good ones that people have used and can recommend?

I currently use the flow visualiser for dissection of network events after-the-fact, because its clunky and slow and takes a little while to sift through the information.

For live events I have text-based tools that give 1 second resolution and instant feedback on whats happening *now*.

If there are web based or gui tools out there that can run real-time, then great, but I'm really after something to show aggregate flows based on protocols by time of day, etc, all the nice stuff, basically to help traffic profile and dissect events to understand them better.

Any recommendations?
If there are better paid-for ones out there, lets hear it, too.

Thanks.

Sean.
(Feel free to reply on list and discuss / dissect).